One of my favorite quotes is, “Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight.” I don’t remember when I first read it, but over the past few years, it has taken on a significant importance in my life. As someone who is incredibly introverted, I’ve always valued quality over quantity. I have a tendency to swiftly and infinitely remove people who no longer bring “sunlight.” It happens as you grow older, and especially as you become a mother. Resources become limited and I physically don’t have the capacity for anything less than sunlight. One of the things I’ve found most valuable from this mindset shift, is I become a better person along the way.
Also, I don’t know about you, but this past year has had a profound effect on my friendships. I feel like I’ve heard a lot of people say the same thing. Being unable to socialize freely and required to put more effort into our personal connections really tested a lot of relationships. Some faded into the background while others burned brighter.
It’s truly remarkable how we can adapt and grow when we’re soaking up sunshine rather than spending too much time in the shade.
Have you found your sunlight people? They are far and few between, but I promise they’re out there.
How to know if you’ve found your sunlight people:
- They nurture and respect your vulnerability.
- Your deepest and most treasured core values are aligned.
- They are supportive of you in your good times.
- They are supportive of you in your bad times.
- Your time with them feels intentional and leaves your cup full.
- They are consistent and steadfast, yet adaptable to life’s ebbs and flows.
- You don’t worry about the state of your house when they drop by for a visit. They love you and will never judge the tornado your 5-year-old created.
- You want to share your biggest triumphs and your lowest lows with them. And most importantly, you feel safe sharing these with them.
- They always respect your time and your personal growth. Healthy boundaries are important on both sides.
- They have gratitude. They truly appreciate everything they have in life, which makes them happier and satisfied.
- They choose every opportunity to experience joy.
You’ll know your sunshine people when you find them. The warmth is undeniable. Fill your cup with their light and you’ll fill theirs right back.
This post was updated and adapted from this article originally posted on Glitter Guide in 2018.